HISTORY

 

The fine, white mansion on the shore of the Bay of Lübeck welcomes its guests with the words: "Ich habe es mit Gottes Gunst erbaut. Möge Gott der Beschützer, dem Errichteten wohl gesonnen sein”, which roughly translates as, I have built it with God's favour. May God be the protector, the accomplished one.

The classicist building dating to 1745 was built on a truly incomparable spot with a view of the sea. The land is wide here, the nature strong, the beach natural and the sea just goes on forever. The tranquillity of the landscape gives peace and strength: Pure freedom.

The coats of arms of three noble houses are mounted on a plaque on the court side of the three-storey manor house. In the middle of Booth's coat-of-arms a mastless boat is depicted in the sea under a clouded sky. This is not without reason, as the saying goes that once a knight fell into distress on a stormy sea. He swore should he survive the storm that he would build three villages. He did survive, and landed in Schwansee, and from that point on he called himself "Booth" and fulfilled his promise: He founded the villages of Brook, Hohenschönberg and Kalkhorst, where he built a church around 1230. The owner of the manor in Gross Schwansee is the descendant, Wilhelm Ludwig Hartwig von Booth.

The manor estate has changed very little. The manor’s pond, once lined with lime trees, is still there.

In the winter, they would take ice from the pond to keep milk and meat cool for the summer in the ice cellar.  There are three artesian springs in the grounds. One supplied those living in the house with their drinking water, another was used for the animals. The sources are served by wells from which the water is piped to supply the drinking water.

The impressive red building to the left of the manor house was once a horse stable, later a shed, and today houses the "Brasserie" with its Mecklenburg specialities, a large hall, as well as the wellness floor with its saunas and cosmetic treatments.

In addition to the manor house with its park and stable buildings, the Groß Schwansee estate also had an administrator's house, labourer's cottage, a forester's house, a forge, a school, a coachman's house and a fisherman's cottage.

 

 

 

  • 1582

    Schwansee wurde im Ratzeburger Zentralregister urkundlich erstmals erwähnt.

  • 1745

    Wilhelm Ludwig von Booth ist Eigentümer des neuen Herrensitzes und des Gutes. Er ließ das Herrenhaus als Ziegelputzbau aus roten Ziegeln sowie gelben Ziegeln als Fenstereinfassung auf einem Feldsteinsockel errichten. Vorbild war das Klützer „Schloss Bothmer“.

  • 1801

    Gottlieb von Haeseler, ein Herzoglich-Sachsen-Coburg- Gothanischer Geheimrat, Mitglied des Reichsadelsstandes, erwarb das Gut

  • 1842

    Gottlieb von Haeseler, ein Herzoglich-Sachsen-Coburg- Gothanischer Geheimrat, Mitglied des Reichsadelsstandes, verkaufte das Gut an Hinrich von Ladiges.

  • 1857

    Der fünfjährige Johannes Hinrich Schröder bekommt Groß Schwansee als Patengeschenk.

  • 1866

    Johannes Hinrich Schröder wird als ‚Freiherr’ im Staatskalender genannt.

  • 1911

    Freiherr von Schröder wohnt in London und benutzte das Herrenhaus nur noch als Feriensitz.

  • 1945

    Wie überall in der sowjetischen Besatzungszone erfolgte die Enteignung durch die Bodenreform. Die große Bildsammlung verschwand, das Geschirr und Besteck wurde in der Küche des Schulinternats, das in Schwansee eingerichtet wurde, benutzt, die Ritterrüstungen versteckten sich auf dem Boden und eine wertvolle Münzsammlung wurde Jahre später ausgegraben.

  • 1998

    Silvius Dornier erwarb die Anlage. Die Sanierung des Gutshauses wurde mit hohem finanziellen Aufwand durchgeführt. Das Schlossgut und der ehemalige Pferdestall wurden restauriert, das elegante Parkgebäude errichtet und nun ist das schlossgut gross schwansee eine kleine, exklusive Flucht aus dem Alltag für Gäste mit Niveau.